Candle Fire Safety
Candles bring the perfect holiday scent to any home and make great gifts to give to any person. Although they bring great joy to people everywhere during the holiday season, it is important to note how to properly and safely use candles. According to the NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) "Candle fires peak in December and January with 11 percent of house fires in each of these months."
SERVPRO of Greenwood, Abbeville & McCormick Counties is 'Faster to Any Disaster' and trained to handle any size fire remediation job, but the first step you can take is to take proper precaution when using candles. Here are some tips from the NFPA.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
While all of these tips can help prevent a house fire this holiday season, we understand that disaster can strike at any time. Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Greenwood, Abbeville & McCormick Counties at (864)229-6610 for services 24/7.